We can help you with:
Determination of Assets & Liabilities
Representation in Court
Can AJB Stevens help me?
Are you aware of what is required to separate or divorce?
Do you need help evaluating what is considered property?
Do you understand your rights in regards to property settlement?
Request a Consultation
Property Settlement Issues We Deal With
Valuation of Assets
Assessment of Contributions
Formalisation of Property Settlements
Property Calculations and Adjustments
De Facto Relationships
Separations involving De Facto couples have similar rights to property division as those who are married. AJB Stevens can help make the property settlement process as smooth as possible.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Property Settlement
- You and your former partner agree on the division of property without court involvement.
- You and your former partner agree on arrangements and formalise your agreement by applying for a consent order in Family Court.
- You and your former partner cannot agree as to how to divide your property and apply to the court for financial orders relating to the property division.
Why do I need a property settlement lawyer?
Do I need to go to Court to settle my property?
What counts as property?
- Any property owned (jointly or independently)
- Business interests
- Inheritance assets
Property acquired during the relationship is not the only property that needs to be divided during a property settlement. Property owned prior to and after the separation may also be included.
Are debts included in property settlement calculations?
- Stamp duty obligations
Liabilities are divided between the parties, whether they are held jointly or individually.
Is there a time limit in property settlement?
Although it is very rare, the court may grant an extension of time in exceptional circumstances.
It may also be within the best interests of both parties to make a property settlement as soon as possible, as some assets belonging to the parties may increase in value over time.
How much will I get at the end of a property settlement?
How does a court divide assets and debts?
- The totality of your assets measured against your debts
- The direct financial contributions each party brought to the marriage or de facto relationship (wage and salary earnings, etc.)
- Indirect financial contributions by each party such (gifts, inheritance, etc.)
- Non-financial contributions to the marriage or de facto relationship (childcare, homemaking, etc.)
- Future requirements (a court will take into consideration age, health, financial resources, care of children and future earning ability)
Each situation is unique and will depend on the individual circumstances of your situation.
Why Choose us?
2 Convenient Locations & Video Conferencing Available
No Win, No Fee Compensation Representation (where applicable)
A Lawyer is always available to speak to you
Ability to use Resolution Plus+ our case management system
We speak your language, our lawyers are fluent in 5 different languages
How can we help?
Each Property Settlement case is different and unique in its own right. Seeking the help of AJB Stevens will ensure that you receive the compensation and entitlements you deserve to help get your life back on track.